Thursday, July 17, 2008

Got Chickens?


We do! Our eight little peeps arrived last month and have settled in nicely, thank you ! We have four different breeds - Rhode Island Red & Barred Rock (known for their prolific brown eggs), Americana (lays green/blue eggs and are very social) and Partridge Cochin (absolutely beautiful, with feathered feet!).


In another three months we should have daily fresh eggs - and they should continue to lay for 3-5 years. I'm not very clear on what will happen after that - they usually become dinner, but my children have been very, very vocal about that NOT being an option. I wasn't that concerned until I discovered that chickens can live 20-30 YEARS!!!! Are you kidding me? I think I prefer hamsters with their three year lifespan - MUCH more doable! Too bad they don't lay eggs.

Anyway, we now have a garden (and zucchini) and chickens. What's next, you ask?

Well, does anyone know anything about pygmy milk goats? (Just think, milk, butter, cheese, ice cream........)

Yup - I have issues!

1 comment:

Faithful Soles said...

I think after the 3-5 year span they retire to a Chicken Retirement Home (aka KFC). I have never milked a pygmy goat, or a pygmy or a goat for that matter, so I can't answer your question.