Sunday, September 17, 2006

Some days you tear up the road.....

And some days the road tears up YOU! Guess who's ahead in THIS race???

Had my group run yesterday. A mere 8 miles - I was much relieved. There were even 3 other gals there who do the run/walk routine - perfect!

Or not. First of all - they run for 5, walk for three. And it's a faster pace run than I do when I'm going for distance. I maintained about 3 miles - then bailed at the drink stop and waited for the walking group.

They left me in the dirt, too.

The further I went, the more body parts that hurt, and the slower I went. I was tempted to call for a pick-up but told myself I'd feel better if I actually accomplished my goal, rather than giving up. I finished the 8 miles - but felt no joy in mudville. In retrospect, I wish I'd called for a pickup. At least my hips wouldn't hurt so much. Turns out I couldn't have called - my cell phone died. Totally died - not just out of battery. So...yet another thing on the "to-do" list for tomorrow.

And THEN I had to drag my body through 4 different stores, doing the weekly shopping for my family. And it kept raining. I finally got home, soaked in a hot bath, then collapsed into a chair.

I feel....inept. I figure I had a hard run because I've had such a hard two weeks. Not enough exercise, water or decent food - but too much stress and running around. But it still makes me doubt if I can do 26 miles. EVERYONE else is only doing 13 - and they're doing it better than me. I just don't know.

Just found out my friend with cancer is NOT going to do the marathon. She's worried about fund-raising. I understand...but I was looking forward to seeing Jamaica with her. My husband can't go - because of the kids. So...I'll be alone. :(

At anyrate...at the moment I'm doubting my ability to fundraise, run 26 miles, train, work, and keep up with the house and kids. The only thing I'm NOT doubting...is my ability to mess up. How comforting.

Well, as the song goes, "Some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug."

Hang in there,
The Bug

2 comments:

Wes said...

Dear Bug:

My first question to you is: Was 8 miles on your training plan for this day? If it was, fine. If it wasn't, then why are you pushing yourself too fast. My second question is: If you know that you are not ready for such a pace, then why are you knocking yourself out trying to do it? Quite frankly, that's what makes this so hard and people of lesser stature will give up in dispair.

You need to run smarter. Not harder, and do what works for you.

Remember, this isn't about what everyone else is doing. This is about you. Your goal. Your vision. The path you take to get there is your path. Make it unique. Make it your own.

You can do the 26 miles. If you walk most of it. No big deal. The important thing is that the journey you take to get there is satisfying to you. We all have bad days. Even bad weeks. You'll bounce back. We have confidence in you!!

The Un-Runner said...

Thanks for the support, Wes - I need it! The mileage for the run should have been fine - except I hadn't been taking good care of myself. The pace was more intense - but I was between groups, pace-wise. Trying to move up was....a mistake.

But now we know how funny I'll walk when I'm ninety - cause I'm doing it now!