Monday, July 31, 2006

Monday Morning Madness

I went 4.1 miles this morning! Wahoo!!! [Please note: I did NOT say I RAN 4.1 miles. I walked, jogged some, walked, jogged, ran a wee bit, walked a LOT more! But I got there!]

I had just cleared the neighborhood at 5:45am - was in the middle of two corn fields - when I heard a truck approaching behind me and slowing down! The work truck actually stopped NEXT to me! I took a deep breath and turned with my best "tough" look - only to find a guy I've known for over 30 years! We both lived in Baltimore, and our families were close. I later "adopted" the family, and this guy became my youngest brother. We both live on the Eastern Shore now - but rarely see each other. And here he recognized me from behind before dawn! I told him to bring coffee next time! As I walked on, I also got to enjoy birds, deer and frogs! (but didn't know any of them!)

Had a good weekend, too! Taught a training all day Saturday, and didn't have anyone quit on me! (I coordinate Mid-Shore Project Read; a volunteer adult literacy program) When I got home Saturday, an old roommate had called to say she would be in the area that evening, and wanted to go to dinner. We had a great time! I hadn't seen her in about 8 years.

Yesterday we finally had the bike trip with T and her gang - at Patapsco Valley State Park. It was quite hot - and the kids (all 5 of em) petered out quickly in favor of playing in the stream/river. On the way home we discovered Arundal Mills Mall - what a find! I didn't know there were any "Books a Million" stores out here! Found a great book, "Galloway's Book of Running" - he gives a lot of information! We also found another Costco store there - always a find! We were all beat when we finally arrived home!

Ahhhhh. A good weekend.

2 comments:

Wes said...

Excellent job on the four mile run. I've just gotten off the treadmill and started running outside. I do my four mile runs with a Run 8/Walk 2 strategy as well. I hope to eventually run the whole thing, but I'm in no hurry! Scary moment here with the truck :-) I unfortunately have to run at night or in the evening. I'm just not a morning person. If you haven't read Bingham's books on running, highly recommend them (No need for Speed, Courage to Start). Cheers!

The Un-Runner said...

Great to hear from you, Wes! Wow, you're up to Run 8/Walk 2! I have soooo far to go! {{{huff huff}}}

I'll track down the "No Need for Speed" - I'm really enjoying Gallaway's Book of Running!

Enjoy!