Thursday, July 27, 2006

Pain, Sweat and Hot Flashes!

I still have no idea how I'm going to get my body over 26 miles without public transportation being involved. That's bad, right? I did 2.75 miles on the treadmill this morning - with a new speed record average of 4.2 miler per hour. My personal best - but surely considered a "drunken pub crawl pace" by real runners.

It's funny - I always believed I didn't sweat. Let me tell you - doing this "Grandma crawl" for less than three miles - my clothes were soaked, my hair was soaked, and my face was a rather frightening dark red. I kept leaning over to try to use the heart monitor (a very awkward position - cause I'm over 5'10") and never did get a believable pulse! The number, when it bothered to show up, was either 68 (whoa! Call the Olympics!) or 196 (whoa! Call 911!) What a waste!

So...I'll have to figure out how to monitor my pulse the old-fashioned way...........Nope. I suck at this, too! I end up holding my breath, which makes my heartbeat irregular, then I lose count! yeesh. Oh well....I'm pretty attune to my heart - and it didn't feel like I was ready to have a heart attack! Think that's good enough?

On a positive note....my ankle has been hurting me all week, so I didn't run. Wanted to give it time to heal. Started today, and the ankle really began to bother me. It almost seemed bruised, though I don't see anything. The running shoe made it feel even worse. I decided to ignore it and continue. Surprise! By the time I was done jogging, the ankle felt fine! How strange! I believed that by NOT "working through the pain" I was protecting myself. Now, it seems that pushing my body to go farther actually helps me work through the problem. Who knew?

No comments: