Tuesday, July 25, 2006

They shoot horses, don't they?

July 16, 2006

Bought my running shoes at Vernon Powell in Salisbury. More money than I’ve ever spent on shoes – and as my son said, “They’re UGLY!”. And…..because you have to size up so much, I take a size 11! Yipes!

Went running outside, in my new shoes, and using the water hip pack for the first time. I looked like a runner!

Failed. Utterly.

First, it was too hot. Didn’t start til 10am, cause my husband was on a bike ride earlier. And, to be fair, I was busy finding the kitchen and drinking coffee. I hate hot. I hate sun. I had the hat, the shades, the sunblock, the water bag and the MP3 player.

It sucked.

Not only was I too hot to breathe, let alone run – but the fanny water pack SUCKED! The tube kept rubbing my arm, or the hose kept coming loose, the MP3 player kept falling, the bag was heavy and awkward and kept bouncing on my back. I was miserable. The only things that didn’t hurt were my feet. Came home quickly (15 minutes, max) and bit everyone in my path. Took my body to the treadmill – only to have the muscles over my knees hurt so much I had to stop. They really ache. The only thing I’ve changed (beside the shoes) was move up to a faster pace. Maybe it’s just adjustment issues? My hips certainly hurt the first few days of jogging. Now it’s muscles. Could be worse, I guess – could be joints.

I just feel like…..a loser. I’m not sure I can do this. What the hell was I thinking???? I HATE running! I hate being out in the heat of the day! I’m royally pissed. At myself, and at the world at large.

What have I gotten myself into? I really want to reach this goal. But right now….I just want to cry.

No comments: