Friday, February 16, 2007

The Big Chill, Part II

Unfortunately, there's no great soundtrack for this one - just the sound of my teeth chattering and knees knocking. Please note- we're EXTREMELY fortunate here - we don't have the snow and ice that has crippled a great portion of Maryland - and the Northeast. But it's COLD! I'm typing at the computer, 4 feet from the woodstove, and keep making typos because my fingers are cold. I'd love to pack up the kids and go someplace warmer but A)I have to lead a 6 hour literacy training tomorrow and B)then the dogs would freeze.

We did go to co-op this morning - many, many, MANY families were absent. And didn't bother to cover their classes - so everyone was scrambling to entertain large groups of children without a lesson plan. I had 13 knee-sized mathematical whizzes in my class - many of whom couldn't get 0+?=3 or 1+1+?. I don't believe these concepts are too advanced for 5-7 year olds. I mean, ok, it's probably not IMPERATIVE that they understand addition that young - but why wouldn't they? It's a reasonable, day to day activity. Of course, I had one 6 year old who SWORE she had NO idea how to add 2+3, nor was she interested in learning how to do it. And I KNOW she does do it at home - so maybe they're all shy???? I dunno...but I have a WHOLE new respect for classroom teachers - and a greater understanding of why it's so hard to learn in a traditional classroom!

On the positive side - it was warm there. My hands weren't even chilly. If only my head didn't twitch so while I'm there!

1 comment:

[rich] said...

Maths... nah! never going to need that ;-)

Hope it warms up for you soon.