Friday, February 09, 2007

Insanity, anyone???

It's happened. The cold, the children and/or the day-to-day insanity have finally permuted my last vestiges of sanity. They'll find me in the spring, huddled under a down blanket clutching an empty wine bottle and my collection of "Baby Blues" cartoon books.

It's been too cold to move. The kitchen, despite my occasional efforts at shoveling off the counters, has deteriorated to "call the health department" standards. We did manage a couple of loads of laundry before the drains froze, so that's something. The wind has been so fierce that not only are the blankets covering the door swaying - the door's swaying, too!

My darling husband did come home early last night to un-freeze the drains. He had to crawl under the house - but didn't quite fit. He ended up duct-taping a hair dryer to a 2x4. I didn't notice till this morning that he left the bathroom AND bathtub filled with all his assorted tools - and never re-plugged the heater back in - so the bathroom was about 5 degrees. I decided this was my cue to NOT do laundry or take a hot bath. rucka rucka rucka. (I figure the drain has re-frozen - and that I just DON'T CARE!!!!)

I managed to haul my brood out the door BEFORE 7:30 am today to attend our weekly homeschool co-op. I tried to talk them into canceling because of the cold - but was told that's NOT an acceptable reason. Yeah, at least half the folks weren't there - something about burst water pipes and such. On the positive front - the kids were too cold to be bouncing off walls - and the "kicker" was absent.

Of course, my son, Gabriel, was kicked out of two classes today. One of them mine. He's five, and doesn't like large groups - much like his parents. His way of dealing, however, is to attach himself to my backside and whine. ?????? He was MUCH better in an alternate class. But he was also starting Tai Kwan Do - and the teacher grabbed me immediately after class, telling me my son just wasn't participating or following the instructions. Since I was busy trying to peel him off of my backside at the moment - I only agreed that he was being a PIA today. Later I talked with the teacher, and realized that he's NEVER expressed any interest in martial arts or fighting - and hates both large groups and following exacting directions. He'd much rather go under the table and read a book. A chapter book, the mother of the 5 year old bragged. (but only Scooby-Doo or Captain Underpants - so it's really not THAT impressive) I thought about it - and moved him to another, smaller class. And, he'll have one less class with "the kicker" - so that's good!

So...here I sit. Typing and drinking wine, trying to block the sounds of children playing six inches from my head. At least I hear them talking about different countries. The fire's burning happily -which means I soon have to go OUTSIDE to bring in more wood. Ugh. and brrrr.... I'd go hide in my room - but they'll need food soon. {{{sigh}}} Oh yeah, and I have to re-package the bread I brought home - the kittens tore open the bag and ate 1/4 loaf. I hate animals. And children. And cold....

If I haven't posted again in a week - send out search parties!!!!

No comments: