Monday, August 28, 2006

Owies and Questions



Can you say, "OUCH!"? Let's see...yesterday I did some cross-training - biking. No big deal - except they just tarred and chipped our road - and biking on it is sort of like biking through....sand?...mud?.....quicksand??? At any rate - it's nasty! I could have walked faster than I was peddling! Only went 4 miles, and my legs were burning when I returned home. So much so that I misjudged my dismount and hit the concrete slab going into our garage. I was thrown forward, cracked my pubic bone on the bike (again with the OUCH) then fell off the bike into the mosquito magnet with the bike and my legs in a tangled heap. Yeesh.

This morning I arose at 5am to run. Dressed and prepared to leave - realized it was raining. Decided "real runners" don't let a little rain stop them, and went anyway! Yeah!

Did I mention it was dark? Really, really dark? Think dark country road, middle of nowhere, with a nasty re-chipped road (and no shoulders!). The cars were freaking me out - so I was hugging the edge of the road when one approached - sometimes stepping into the weeds. Since I couldn't see where I was going, I ended up wrenching my knee by stepping in a hole or a rut or something. I hobbled home and applied ice - it doesn't feel too bad at the moment.

The question is...I know people run in the dark. How??? What do I need? I didn't feel safe - and obviously wasn't. By the time it's light my husband is getting ready to leave the house and I have no time for a run.

By the way...I really, really hate the new road surface.

Happy Monday, everyone! If you're new, please check my cancer page at www.firstgiving.com/neversettle

Thank you!

2 comments:

Wes said...

Michelle, over at Back of the Pack, wears one of those little miner lamps designed specifically for runners. Not sure where you get them, but that's an idea. I personally have sidewalks all through my neighborhood, so running at night is not an issue for me.

[rich] said...

Happy Monday :-) it's a bank holiday in the UK :-D no work!

It's really dark running around the village from October through to May over here. What I do is always wear a reflective vest over my running gear, and run carrying a LED torch(the batteries last forever)... seems to do the trick, I'm not pancake yet.