Sunday, August 13, 2006

There's No Place Like Home!

Yay! Vacation is over! Yesterday I spent 13 hours traveling with one husband and three children. Nuff said?

We were in the coal-mining mountains of SW Virginia - with the occasional drive to Tennessee. It's a curious area. Absolutely gorgeous hills and mountains - kudzu covering almost everything - tiny, shack like houses or trailers with two satellite dishes (I guess because of all the mountains?) and the most beautiful lawns you've ever seen (all on hills you'd think would require goats for maintenance!). My in-laws live at the top of a mountain in the middle of no-where - and they have city water and sewage, cable tv and access to high-speed internet! I can't get high-speed internet - and we have a well and septic system! What is this??? Yeesh.

I worked on my hillwork a couple of times - the hills were so pretty it was easy! And....my husband ran with me once. He's in training for a 100 mile bike trek - and is up to about 40 miles - so he was feeling fairly competent. Nope! He says running is a totally different animal - he felt so out of shape. I felt GREAT (na-na-na NAH na!) He's quite competitive - so I know he'll eventually leave me in the dust - but I enjoyed the moment!

Spent a LOT of time playing with the kids - soccer and badminton. We really got into the badminton - it was great! I couldn't have done it a month ago - my health and fitness have really improved since I started running! And....I'm still such a beginner! I have so far to go - how fit will I be feeling then??? Wow - it's mind boggling!

Now...on to business. As you know, I'm running this marathon to raise money for The Wellness Center, in support of my best friend who's dealing with stage IV breast cancer at age 35. This morning I realized I had received another donation on my fundraising page from a complete stranger who's also dealing with Stage IV breast cancer. I was trying to thank her (a stock thank you goes out immediately) but realized the webpage protects the email address of supporters, and I have no way of contacting anyone! I don't know how people reach my blog and my donor page - but I'm so grateful for everyone's support -financial and emotional.

Cancer sucks. It's devastating, it's potentially life-threatening and it's everywhere. No one is safe. It does have some redeeming features, however. Cancer makes you re-evaluate your life and your choices - you start deciding how you want to spend your days and your moments - rather than just going with the flow. You find strength in yourself you never knew existed - and can get a taste of just how powerful you are.

Cancer got me to run. My fitness level was pathetic - but the thought of fighting cancer got me to propel my feet to the next telephone pole. Cancer is getting me out of my dream world - and encouraging me to make those dreams a reality. I don't have cancer - but I still have only a limited number of days - and I want those days to count.

I don't have the skills or the genius to cure cancer. But I do have the ability to encourage others to make every day count - to seek out and live a life with purpose. This is our shot, our time in the sun. It doesn't matter where we start or what obstacles are placed in front of us. It only matters to find something we believe in - and pursue it with every fiber of our being. Like running - it's the journey, not the finish line - that matters.

Please visit my fundraising page: www.firstgiving.com/neversettle

2 comments:

ladybug said...

Good luck! The world needs more people like you who are proactive in your causes. :-)

[rich] said...

CANCER SUCKS! I agree it's what got me in to running. My Dad had prostate cancer, got rid of that only to be told he had stomach cancer :-( he had his stomach removed about a month ago and now is facing chemo :-(

So much respect to you and your reasons for running - keep it up and the blog another one for my favourites list.

:-)