Thursday, August 03, 2006

"You have the right to remain silent...."

I confess...I did not run, walk or work out today...but had an adrenaline rush and speeding heartrate just the same.

A friend and I took our SIX children shopping, and then returned to our small, quiet town. Seriously, Halloween in this town (Denton, MD) is like a Norman Rockwell painting - tons of kids going to big old houses where folks are sitting with music, candy and good cheer. It's too, too cute.

Anyway...the kids were inside and we were unloading the tightly packed minivan when the road erupted with police cars, both local and state. They were pulling over an old car with 3 folks inside, and as we watched, ANOTHER group of cops - these guys wearing ski masks and flak vests labeled "Drug Task Force" ran to the scene - literally feet in front of us! (I must admit, I was hiding behind the corner of the house, ready to dive into the trashcans at the first evidence of a scuffle!) We eventually moved inside and watched the drama from the front window. The police sat a large bag of clear vials that they had removed from the girl (who was wearing really tight clothes and hiding the drugs where????) on top of my friend's car. The girl was carted away, another young man eventually uncuffed and set free.

I must say...I'm glad I live 3 miles OUT of town! Most of our excitement involves me chasing one of our dogs down the road - and the dog laughing. I lived in NYC for six years - and never got to witness a drug bust up close and personal (a sale, perhaps). I'm telling you...if you want real excitement...head for the country!

On another point...I may not have worked out today...but I worked on the CONCEPT of working out! (think that counts?) I called the YMCA with some questions about their family membership and their committment to their logo..."Building strong kids, strong families and strong communities". Yeah, as long as you don't homeschool. Currently they only offer childcare through age 5, children are not permitted to be unaccompanied in the facility, and children under 13 are not permitted in the classes or the fitness room. So....it won't work for me. {{{Sigh}}}

Oh well, have to find a way to work out WITH chidren in tow!

No comments: